Monthly Archives: June 2011

SCCM 2012 Beta 2 Installation error "Failed to write string -T8295 to registry on SQL Server"

Written by Tao Yang

Today I started installing SCCM 2012 Beta 2 in my test environment. while I was installing the Central Admin Site, the installation wizard got stuck at “Evaluating Setup Environment” step and the following errors were logged in C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log:

ERROR: Failed to write string -T8295 to registry on SQL Server

ERROR: Failed to write string “-T4199″ to registry on SQL Server

image

This is because the SQL Server service is not running under Local System. After I changed the SQL Server service to run under Local System, restarted SQL Server service, the SCCM 2012 setup went successful!

This is documented in “Configuration Manager 2012 Beta 2 Supported Configuration”.

What’s New in SCCM 2012

Written by Tao Yang

Found this article from Technet today:

What’s New in Configuration Manager 2012

Lots of exciting new features. Can’t wait for my newly ordered testing PC (Intel i7 with 24GB RAM running Hyper-V 2008 R2) arrives so I can start playing SCCM 2012 Beta 2!

ConfigMgr 2007 Inbox (Outbox) Monitor: Could not complete polling cycle within configured period

Written by Tao Yang

Starting few weeks ago, In the SCCM environment which I support, all site servers located in one country started generating status messages similar to below every 15 minutes:

SMS Inbox Monitor took 3627 seconds to complete a cycle.  This exceeds its configured interval of 900 seconds by 2727 seconds.

image

These messages are also logged in Site server’s application log. SCOM also detects it and generated warning alerts:

image

 

After reviewing inboxmgr.log, I noticed the time stamp for the log entries was 1 hour ahead of the system time. This also happens to the other SCCM log files. I then noticed the day light saving for that particular time zone has ended few weeks ago and the SCCM services has not been restarted since then.

Cause: SCCM services have not been restarted since system time changed.

Solution: I restarted SMS_EXECUTIVE and SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER services on affected site servers. and the system has stopped generating these messages. and time stamp for status messages are now back to normal.